The Art of Being Content

Here's a little something I wrote in July, 2009:

Have you ever struggled with the following verses when you’ve read through Philippians 4?  10I rejoice greatly in the Lord that at last you have renewed your concern for me. Indeed, you have been concerned, but you had no opportunity to show it. 11I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13I can do everything through him who gives me strength.”  I must say that I have on many occasions.  The reason is because my life is usually fraught with discontent.  I thought that I’d share some thoughts with you on this subject.
I looked in my trusty American Dictionary of the English Language that was written by Noah Webster in 1828 and discovered the meaning of content is as follows: “Literally, held, contained within limits; hence, quiet; not disturbed; having a mind at peace; easy; satisfied, so as not to repine, object, or oppose.”  Wow!  That certainly is a mouthful!  I guess my idea of content was something slightly different.  For example, I am okay with my circumstances as they currently are, I choose not to complain, question, or be upset by said circumstances, I am now and always will be a happy camper.  Hmmm…  Let me think about this now.  Paul’s words are that he has “learned the secret of being content in any and every situation…”  So, in light of our definition for content, what is Paul saying?  Paul has learned the secret of being contained within limits, quiet – not disturbed, easy, and satisfied, while having a mind at peace.  Who wouldn’t want that for their life?  So, in actuality, being content is all about having peace, being undisturbed, being contained within your limits, and being satisfied. 
Is it possible to do all of those things when we are in need?  What about when we have plenty?  When you’re well-fed?  When you’re hungry?  In any and all circumstances can we say that we are content to sit there and not try to figure it all out?  I, at many times in my life, have found myself very disturbed by my situation, my lack of desired items, my lack of food, my wish for new clothes, my hope for an abundance or increase in my finances, etc.  The problem with those longings is that they breed many not nice things: discord in my marriage, concern for the future, doubt in God’s ability to care for me, lack of satisfaction and peace, and loud groanings against my current life situation.  Well, what could possibly be good about any of those things?  Absolutely nothing that I’m aware of.  The only thing I see coming from those feelings and issues is a big, wide-open door through which the enemy of my soul can come into my life and take up a war against me and all that I hold dear.
Since I don’t have any desire to allow Satan to have a foothold in my life, I feel that I need to learn a lesson from Paul in these verses of Scripture.  I need to go to God and pour out my heart to Him and ask Him for help in learning the secret of being content that Paul talks about.  If you need help with this area, as I do, remember what it says in verse 13, “I can do everything through him who gives me strength.”  Right there in plain words we see that God our Father will give us the strength to be content in any and all circumstances, whether we’re hungry, full, thirsty, have plenty, or lack everything.  The most important thing is to ask for the strength and to remember that God (who loves us very much) is in control of your circumstances and will help you to be content as Paul was.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Write On

God is good...even when life is hard

What I learned from a phone book... (Part I)