18 months...

I am amazed at how quickly the last year and a half went by. I sometimes wonder how I meet each day knowing that the only way I'll see my dad is in a photo or a thought or a dream. I'll only hear him in my memories or dreams. It saddens me to think of all the opportunities that have gone by for my children to interact with their grandpa, for my mom to tell my dad a quote from the book she's reading, for me to hear his signature knock on our front door. Yet he is already home with his grandchildren, his father-in-law, his mother-in-law, and so very many others. He has seen things we struggle to imagine; he has joined the cloud of witnesses. He is now cheering, along with them, as the rest of us continue our race.

Knowing that today was coming made me a bit sad. So this morning, rather spur of the moment, I decided to find ways to celebrate and honor my dad. The first way we honored him was by getting chocolate shakes - made with chocolate ice cream and chocolate syrup - the more chocolate the better.




The second way we honored him involved some very delicious homemade Italian food...and green olives. My dad really liked Italian food!

The third way we honored my dad today was by enjoying some chocolate cake.



Though these were little things...they brought me joy today and made this day pass by a little easier than it might have otherwise. I miss my dad. That won't change - no matter how much time goes by. I am thankful that I have others around me that can honor and celebrate him with me...and keep his legacy alive.

Blessings, friends,

Jolene

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God is good...even when life is hard

What I learned from a phone book... (Part I)

13 months...