Memories of Dad: Part I

Today, October 5, 2021, marks a day that brings sadness to my heart...although some would say that it should bring joy. My father went home to his final home with his Abba Father one month ago. Many thoughts, questions, struggles rage within me when I allow myself to think of my father and his home going. And, I imagine, they will continue to do just that for many days, weeks, even years to come. I want to remember my father. The pain and heartache are real. The questions, wondering, pondering often never ending. Yet I must remember... In the remembering I will not forget who my father was -- his character, his heart, his humor, his hunger and thirst for Christ, his love for my mom and our family, and so much more.
 
My dad's character was evident in so many aspects of his life. I think one of the most obvious ways to many was his love for and care of my mom. If you knew my dad, it is highly likely that you met/know my mom. They were very rarely without each other. My father and mother were married for over 47 years and 4 months. They enjoyed spending time together, an unusual concept for some married couples these days. My dad was a loving, devoted husband. If anyone ever failed to see the truth of this, they couldn't have missed it in 2019 after my parents' car accident. My father was with my mom for 4 months while she was in the hospital twice and in two different places for transition care. He stayed with her, prayed over her, encouraged her, and more. Truer devotion is hard to come by, yet, if asked, I doubt he would have wanted to be anywhere else during those four months. There marriage was not without mishaps, misunderstandings, and the like, but it was built on a strong foundation of Christ, love, and commitment. Finding things to do together was not a problem for my parents. They could be found doing genealogy research, riding through cemetery after cemetery, discussing Scripture, talking conspiracies, and generally enjoying life together.
 
My dad's character could not be misunderstood if observed over the course of his marriage to my mom. His character as a faithful, loving, devoted husband and father could not be doubted. Character like that permeates all other areas of life, as it did in my dad's life.
 


I Timothy 3:2 - Now the overseer is to be above reproach, faithful to his wife, temperate, self-controlled, respectable, hospitable, able to teach,

 


Romans 8:14 - For those who are led by the Spirit of God are the children of God.


Colossians 2:5 - For though I am absent from you in body, I am present with you in spirit and delight to see how disciplined you are and how firm your faith in Christ is.


I Corinthians 6:11 - And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.


Romans 5:5 - And hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us.


Ephesians 4:1-3 - 1 As a prisoner for the Lord, then, I urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received. 2 Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. 3 Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace.


Ezekiel 36:26 - I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh.


Psalm 34:8 - The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.

 

Comments

  1. Beautiful photos of your parents. Your dad is watching over your mom and your family and Roberts family. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Write On

God is good...even when life is hard

What I learned from a phone book... (Part I)